The Research Software London website is hosted at and operated from Imperial College London.
What information do we collect?
We may collect data about you, how you use this website, and how this website performs when you use it. This may include personal data.
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity data – includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier and your Internet Protocol (IP) address.
- Contact data -includes billing address, postal address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Transaction data -includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us (for example registration for events or workshops).
- Technical data – includes your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Profile data – includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
- Usage data – information on how you use the site, using cookies and page tagging techniques
- Email data – your email address and subscription preferences when you sign up to any email alerts, newsletters and other Imperial mailing lists.
- Email usage – how you use our emails. For example, whether you open them and which links you click on
This data can be viewed by authorised people at Imperial, and trusted partners to:
- improve the site by monitoring how you use it e.g. pages you visit on the site and browser versions used
- gather feedback to improve our services
- help us respond to your feedback, if you’ve asked us to
- send email alerts or newsletters to users who request them
- allow you to access Research Software London services and make transactions
We make every effort to collect data appropriately and restrict monitoring only to parts of our websites.
How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
- To understand the behaviour of visitors to the site. This would include:
- The number of visitors to different areas
- The types of information being searched for via the site’s search engine
- To identify any anomalies in site usage
- To evaluate the popularity of specific site content
How long will you use my personal data for?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
Disclosing your information
We do not pass on your details to other websites for their own marketing or commercial purposes.
You can find out more about your rights by reading Imperial College London’s data protection policy.
Links to other websites
The Research Software London website contains links to other websites.
Following a link to Research Software London from another website
Research Software London Events
Research Software London Mailing List and Newsletter
The Research Software London mailing list is operated by Imperial College London. Our mailing list/newsletter privacy notice provides details of how data held in relation to the mailing list, and any announcements or newsletters distributed through, is handled.